Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Symfony - Php's answer to Rails

Flickr Photo

I began to get acquainted with Symfony tonight and I am liking what I see so far. I really like the concept of fast, easy development that Rails delivers but, there is one thing that has been holding me back from jumping in... I don't know Ruby. I am learning but, I am happy to see an alternative in a language that I am very comfortable in, Php5.

While following the tutorial on their website, I really like what they have done for the dev mode of working on the application. Symfony has a nice little info sidebar that gives you quick information about the configuration of the application.

As seen in the image, it has generated some CRUD scaffolding for a blog much like Rails. While this generated code will need to be modified, I don't see anything wrong with setting a nice start for some processes.

Technorati Tags: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

The little debug sidebar is indeed very useful but I don't see the 3 little icons on it... and all the power of this sidebar is in them!

Try to create a symbolic link in your web directory:

ln -sf /usr/local/lib/php/data/symfony/web/sf sf (on linux)

Then, you must see 3 icons:
- the first one show you the log for this page (doesn't work on Safari) - log informations are the same as in the log/app_dev.log file but nicely formatted;
- the second one give you the possibility to bypass the symfony HTML cache;
- the third one is a close button.

I will document it ASAP on the website.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Symfony is awesome. I can't beleive how qickly I can get a project together with it. I have worked with Rails and I think Symfony has a better feature set. Too bad it is not yet robust enough to challenge Rails or Django.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, Fabien is the lead developer on the project. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home